Stuffed Roast Turkey Breast with Bacon, Mushrooms, Veggies
Always delicious and low carb, our popular stuffed turkey breast recipe is super easy and delicious. You’ll love our bacon, mushroom and veggie filling. If not, you can definitely create your own filling and make this recipe your own special version!
Stuffed Turkey Breast Low Carb Recipe
The best part about cooking a roll is smaller portions, especially when you’re cooking for 2-3 people. Often times during the Holidays everyone gravitates towards the whole turkey. But if you’re short on time or really only needing to cook for 2-3, then this turkey roll is absolutely perfect. With the low carb filling, it’s a meal-all-in-one and all you need to to add a quick green salad for a great keto dinner.
Video: Stuffed Roast Turkey Breast Roll
How to Roast Stuffed Turkey Breast
You can easily prep the turkey breast ahead of time. Cook the filling and stuff the turkey a day ahead. This low carb filling filling is a combination of savory parmesan cheese, bacon, mushrooms, kale and/or spinach. The flavors are fantastic together! When you get home from work, just bake off the stuffed breast while you prep a green salad. There’s also many options to replace the kale or mushroom. You can use Swiss chard, collard greens, beet greens or mustard greens. The possibilities are endless when you make the low carb filling!
Can you make this recipe ahead?
Yes, you can make it ahead of time and serve it the next day. Just prep the whole breast with the filling. Before you bake it, bring it out to room temperature about 45 minutes before baking. That way the filling isn’t too cold and it can cook all the way through during baking. After cooking, it’s easy to freeze any leftovers too.
Roasted Stuffed Turkey Breast “Roll” with Bacon, Mushroom & Veggies
- 4 slices (4 slices) bacon , cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 oz. (113 g) sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 (1/4 ) onion , small dice
- 2 cloves (2 cloves) garlic , minced
- 2 cups (480 ml) chopped fresh kale or spinach (if frozen use 1 cup, thawed, then squeeze out water)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried thyme , oregano or rosemary (or 1/2 Tablespoon fresh)
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) dried sage or 1/2 tablespoon fresh chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) kosher salt , or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) black pepper , or to taste
- 1/4 cup (25 g) shredded parmesan cheese , or preferred cheese
- Two 1.5 lb.(680g) deboned turkey breasts
- Salt , to taste
- Black pepper , to taste
Make the Filling:
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat, and then add bacon and cook until fat releases and bacon starts to become crispy. Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms shrink and release moisture.
- Add the kale or spinach and cook until soft or wilted. Add dried herbs, salt and pepper and stir. Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in cheese and set filling aside.
Prepare the Turkey:
- Place plastic wrap on top of each turkey breast and pound them into an even 1/2-inch thickness.
- Place the pounded turkey breasts skin side down. Divide and spread the filling on top of turkey breasts. Fold one edge of a turkey breast over to create a roll. Tie turkey breast to hold the shape. Repeat the rolling and tying for the other breast.
- Season top of tied breasts with additional salt and pepper. Place turkey breast skin-side up in the baking dish.
- Bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes, or until internal temperature of turkey reaches 165°F at turkey meat thickest part. Allow to rest for about 5-10 minutes, then slice and serve.