Air Fried Scotch Eggs (Low Carb, Keto)
Have you ever had air fried scotch eggs? They’re hard boiled eggs wrapped in sausage and delicious as a breakfast, brunch or snack.
Air Fried Scotch Eggs (Low Carb & Keto)
Scotch egg origins are very interesting and you can read about the origins and history of scotch eggs here. We’ve adapted them to be less greasy and a little healthier by air frying scotch eggs! They’re crunchy on the outside and loaded with savory sausage flavors. The extra surprise is the boiled egg in the middle which means more protein and keto friendly!
Video: Recipe for Air Fryer Scotch Eggs
Best Low Carb Coating for Scotch Eggs
There’s several options for low carb breading or coating. You can between these crusts: Crushed pork rinds, almond flour or coconut flour. Make sure to spray the almond or coconut flour coating with olive oil. The thicker the sausage layer, the less likely it is to split during cooking. But if you do this, then just boil less eggs and increase cooking times to make sure sausage cooks all the way through. Scotch egg origins are quite interesting and you can read about the culinary history of scotch eggs here.
Can You Freeze Scotch Eggs?
Freezing scotch eggs is a great idea. We’ve thawed them and they re-heat great. Just remember that the thawed boiled egg doesn’t have the same wonderful texture as it does if it’s fresh. But it’s definitely worth the effort. Because pre-made scotch eggs are a great quick breakfast, lunch or snack. You just need to remember to put them in the fridge to thaw the night before. Then quickly reheat in the microwave or air fryer again at 360F for about 3-5 minutes.
Keto Air Fryer Scotch Eggs
- 1 pound (454 g) uncooked bulk sausage
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 1-2 raw eggs , beaten
- 1 cup (240 ml) coating choice (crushed pork rinds, almond flour, coconut flour or preferred coating *see notes below)
- oil spray , for coating
- Hot sauce
- Peel the hard boiled eggs. Divide the sausage into 6 equal parts (2.67 oz./75g each).
- Flatten each portion into a thin patty large enough to wrap around the hard boiled egg. Lay the egg in center and wrap sausage around the whole egg, working the sausage together to close any seams or gaps. Repeat for all eggs.
- Dip the sausage-wrapped egg in the beaten raw egg, then in the coating. Spray outside of coated egg evenly with oil.
- Air Fry at 400°F/205°C for 12-16 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
- Cut in half and serve with optional mustard swipe on top of yolk. Add hot sauce, too, if you want. YUM!
Coating Choice: For fewer calories, you can omit the coatings (beaten egg & breading). The sausage-only outside is great, too, but make sure to spray outside of sausage with oil. If you don’t mind a few more carbs, bread crumbs, panko flakes, or crushed crackers also work great as coating choices. *Nutrition count based on 1 cup crushed pork rinds.
4 Comments on “Air Fried Scotch Eggs (Low Carb, Keto)”
These were so good! Thank you for the recipe.
These eggs were so delicious and just the right amount of sausage. I’m glad I can make this with the air fryer because that’s what i’ve been cooking with over the last few months. Love it.
Can these be made ahead and frozen? (either cooked or not)
Hi msSally, It’s better to freeze them after they’ve been fully cooked. We recommend that you thaw them completely first then warm them in the microwave.