Healthy Thai Chicken Soup
This healthy thai chicken soup recipe is delicious. But you can customize the spice level to make it what you want!
Easy Thai Chicken Soup Recipe
The best thing about Thai soups are that they have a combination of spicy hot and sour flavors. It’s exciting on the palate to taste both the hot of chiles and the sour of lime juice. The contrast of spice and bright citrus makes this a great hot and sour chicken soup recipe. And best of all, it’s a very healthy thai chicken soup recipe with Asian inspired flavors to make ahead of time. The flavors actually taste better the next day after they’ve been able to settle in. When you re-heat it up, just add more fresh lime juice, fish sauce or chili peppers to amp up your favorite flavors. This Thai chicken soup recipe is perfect to adjust to your personal taste and level of hot and sour.
Video of Healthy Thai Chicken Soup Recipe:
Serve this hot and sour Thai chicken soup with rice or a side of noodles. To make this meal for chicken soup healthy, you can use chicken breast. But chicken dark meat adds extra flavor and depth to the soup base. The recipe also uses leftover chicken and it’s perfect to make when you have leftover chicken from roast chicken. If you want to use cooked chicken breast, then here’s recipes for poached chicken or oven baked chicken . If you want to use raw chicken, then just cut up the chicken breast or thigh meat into bite sized pieces and cook them before you add the broth and the rest of the healthy thai chicken soup recipe that follows. Hope you enjoy this awesome low carb soup recipe!
Here’s more of our—> LOW CARB RECIPES HERE
Healthy Thai Chicken Soup
- 1/2 pound (227 g) cooked shredded chicken breast or chicken thigh meat (2 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 medium (0.5) onion , chopped
- 2 cloves (2 cloves) garlic , minced
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) fresh ginger , grated or finely minced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons (23 ml) fish sauce (or use Tamari Fish Sauce for Gluten Free)
- 4 cups (960 ml) low sodium chicken stock (here's a link for homemade chicken stock)
- 1 (1) Kaffir Lime Leaf (optional), smashed
- Fresh lemongrass stalk , about 2" long and smashed
- 1 (1) fresh thai chili or to taste , minced
- 1 (1) bell pepper , chopped
- 1 large (1 large) tomato , chopped
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lime juice
- fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- In heated pot, add oil and onions and garlic. Cook until translucent.
- Add cooked chicken, ginger and fish sauce. Stir and cook for about 1 minute. Add chicken stock, Kaffir lime leaf, lemongrass, bell pepper, tomatoes, and chili pepper.
- Bring to boil, then simmer on low for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the fresh lime juice right before serving. Adjust the soup to your personal taste. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
This recipe was originally published in 2018 and re-published in 2020 with updated video.
9 Comments on “Healthy Thai Chicken Soup”
Y’all gotta try this. This is my go-to healthy choice for soup.
It’s so healthy AND yummy! Glad you enjoyed it!
So healthy and amazing! I added just a little bit of coconut milk and the whole family thought it was from a restaurant. Thanks so much!
Coconut milk is great! Makes it a bit creamier.
This soup came together so quick! And loved the fish sauce too. I was thinking of making it again and adding almond milk. What do you think?
Almond milk would be great! Coconut milk would be delicious too.
I was surprised at how easy it was to make! Really tasty!
Really great tasting soup! I love that it doesn’t feel so heavy.
Pingback: Creamy Turkey Vegetable Soup Recipe LOW CARB | Eat Better Recipes