Keto Deviled Eggs
Keto deviled eggs are delicious and enjoyed by many for breakfast and brunch. After talking to some friends about how much we all love deviled eggs, they kept mentioning how hard deviled eggs are to make. Really?! We believe low carb deviled eggs are super easy to make and once you start making them, you’re going to be obsessed!
Why You’ll Love Our Easy Deviled Eggs Recipe
Our easy deviled eggs recipe is perfect for brunch and anytime you want a fantastic snack or appetizer that’s low carb and yummy. Our creamy egg yolk mix has a great balance of flavor, tang and if you like, spice! The best part about our easy recipe for deviled eggs is that we’ve created a balance of different flavors that’s perfect for most taste buds. It’s not just boring egg yolk flavor. But you can certainly customize the flavors further by adding more or less of an ingredient. Once you’ve mastered this simple recipe you should check out this cool deviled egg bar!
Easiest Way to Peel Boil Eggs
The most challenging step to making deviled eggs recipes how to peel the boiled eggs. There’s several techniques and suggestions on best methods of cooking hard boil eggs, then peeling them. Here’s the pin poke method of easily peel boiled eggs This technique takes a little finesse, but it works. This simple technique of boiling and peeling eggs makes the whole process of making homemade deviled eggs that much easier. Another method is how hot to start the boiled water for the eggs. Once you master the peeling boiled eggs, you’ll be a deviled egg making machine and your brunches or Easy Sunday deviled eggs are going to be the best on the block!
Keto Deviled Eggs Recipe
Classic deviled eggs are the perfect keto friendly meal, snack or appetizer. All the elements are pretty much low carb and keto friendly. As long as you keep the toppings simple, you’re definitely in the keto friendly food realm. Enjoy them throughout the day for a high protein and low in carbs snack.
No Mayo Keto Deviled Eggs?
First of all, if you are a fan of mayo the primal kitchen brand of mayonnaise is the most popular for the keto diet. If you don’t like mayo, you can certainly use these other substitutes:
- Use a sugar free low carb yogurt
- Sour cream
- Low carb and low calorie cottage cheese
- Mashed avocado
- Drizzle of olive oil to help make the egg yolk smooth
Video: Keto Deviled Eggs
Tips on Making Keto Deviled Eggs
- Seasoning is what makes the deviled egg yolk filling delicious. Don’t be afraid to add enough salt or seasonings to bring out the flavors. We like to add a touch of soy sauce for more of a “umami” flavor for the egg yolks.
- Use the back of a spoon or small rubber spatula to make the yolk mixture as smooth as possible. Mashing the yolk against the walls of the bowl will help smooth the mixture.
- Try different toppings like fried crispy onions or shallots. We love adding pickled onions, jalapeno or even chili oil.
- You can use a small spoon to fill the white half of the eggs with the filling. Of if you want a fancy and nicer looking piping of the yolk mixture, we talk about it below about different techniques.
- All keto deviled egg recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Keto Deviled Eggs
- 6 large eggs , or pre-hard boiled and peeled eggs *skip to Step
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) prepared horseradish (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml) smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml) ground cayenne (optional)
- sea salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- extra paprika for sprinkling
- minced chives or green onions for topping (optional)
For Hard Boiled Eggs
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil with enough water to completely cover the eggs by about an Inch of water. (A larger pot will help keep the water temperature from dropping too much when the eggs are added to the water).
- Gently place the eggs in the water and boil for 10 minutes. Gently stir the eggs for the first 2 minutes. Adjust the heat if needed to keep the water at a gentle boil.
- While the eggs boil, prepare a large bowl of ice water. When the eggs are cooked, immediately place them in the ice water. Stir for a minute or two to allow them to cool slightly (just a minute or two) in the ice water.
- Crack and peel the eggs, starting from the large end of the eggs, rinsing off any tiny shell tidbits.
Make Deviled Eggs
- Cut the boiled eggs in half lengthwise and remove the yolks.
- Mash the egg yolks (a fork or back of a spoon work great) and then add the mayonnaise, dijon mustard, vinegar, horseradish, smoked paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Continue to mash and stir the yolk mixture into a smooth texture. Taste the mixture and add additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Using spoon or piping bag filled with the yolk mixture (a quart-sized zip-lock works great too-just snip the corner after filling). Mound the yolk mixture back into the hole of the egg whites.
- Add paprika sprinkles and top with chives or green onions. Serve chilled.
Nutrition Information per Serving
Easiest Way to Pipe Yolk into Deviled Egg
The prettiest and fanciest way to make the egg yolk mixture filling look pretty is using a piping bag with a star tip. So if you’re having a party and want to make the deviled eggs look pretty, this is the way to go. But for everyday eating the easiest way to pipe the yolk is to put it in a ziplock bag. Press out all the air, seal the bag, then cut the tip of the bag with just a small cut. Then squeeze out the yolk. Easy peasy. If the hole is too small, just cut the tip a little bigger. Hope you enjoy these low carb deviled eggs as much as we do!
Keto Friendly Toppings
All these toppings are low carb and keto friendly, as long as you use them in small portions. You just need a small sprinkle of toppings for each deviled egg. These definitely will add more calories to each bite but stays pretty aligned to the keto diet for less carbohydrates per servingg.
- fried crispy garlic
- crispy onions
- fresh slices of jalapenos or serrano chili peppers
- Any type of hot sauce like sriracha or chili onion crunch
- chopped crispy cooked bacon
- small sprigs of fresh herbs or chopped chives
- guacamole or small chunks of avocado
- green onions, red onions or pickled red onions. Extra pickle relish on top is pretty yummy but just use a little as there are some carbs. Use regular dill pickle relish for no sugar relish.
- Simple sprinkle of spices like paprika or black pepper add so much flavor to each bite