Low Carb Scotch Eggs
OMG our scotch eggs recipe are so good and super easy to make! Loaded with protein, these keto scotch eggs are the perfect breakfast, brunch or snack item to eat during the day.
What are Scotch Eggs?
Our low carb scotch eggs recipe are boiled eggs wrapped in sausage and then cooked. These delicious eggs can then be breaded, deep fried, baked or air fried. We’ve made them in so many different ways and they’re all delicious. They’re so easy to make for breakfast, brunch or low carb meal. Best of all, you can learn how to make scotch eggs keto or very low carb by using pork rinds for the crust. Make them ahead of time and eat them for lunch or dinner. They’re great anytime of day! Scotch egg origins are quite interesting and you can read about the culinary history of scotch eggs here.
Watch Video to Make Super Easy Scotch Eggs Recipe
Best Low Carb Breading?
There’s several options for low carb or keto breading. Choose your preferred low carb breading: Crushed pork rinds, almond flour or coconut flour. Make sure to spray the almond or coconut flour coating with olive oil. Our favorite is crushed pork rinds because they cook crispier than almond or coconut flour. Coconut flour has a tendency to cook hard and firm.
How to Make Scotch Eggs Recipe
- Cook boiled eggs to your preferred doneness. If you want soft boiled eggs they might break when you wrap the sausage around the egg. So it’s best to cook the yolk a little more firm.
- Wrap boiled Eggs in Sausage. The more sausage you have around the boiled egg, the less likely the sausage will split during baking. Higher fat content sausage will also cause the sausage to shrink and separate. But if you do this, then just boil less eggs and increase cooking times to make sure sausage cooks all the way through
- Bake the scotch eggs until the sausage is cooked and the crust is crispy.
- Serve with hot sauce and/or mustard for the perfect low carb keto breakfast or brunch!
Here’s our mind blowing air fryer boiled eggs recipe and another great low carb cloud eggs recipe.
Low Carb Scotch Eggs
- 1 pound uncooked bulk sausage
- 5-6 hard boiled eggs , peeled
- 1-2 large raw eggs , beaten
- 3/4 cup low carb breading , or more if needed (crushed pork rinds, almond flour or coconut flour)
- oil spray , for coating
- for serving: Mustard and/or Hot Sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Divide the sausage into 5 or 6 equal parts, depending on how thick you want the sausage to wrap around the egg. (Make sure you hands are NOT oiled when flattening and wrapping the sausage around the eggs. If they are, the sausage will often not seal properly and will split when cooking – It is ok to use some water to keep the sausage from sticking to your hands as much).
- Flatten each portion into a thin patty about 4” wide. Lay boiled egg in center and wrap sausage around the whole egg. Repeat for all eggs.
- Dip sausage-wrapped egg in beaten raw egg, then in breading. If using almond or coconut flour, spray outside of coated egg evenly with oil. You don’t need to spray outside of the pork rinds.
- Bake at 400°F for about 25-30 minutes, or until sausage is fully cooked. The thicker the sausage layer, the longer it takes to cook.
- Cut in half and serve with mustard swipe on top of yolk. Add hot sauce, too, if you want. YUM!
4 Comments on “Low Carb Scotch Eggs”
Tried this for breakfast and was a hit. So glad to find more interesting low carb recipes!
Thanks Helen and hope you enjoy more of our low carb recipes. Many more coming soon!
This was so good and really creative! Never heard of “scotch eggs” before! I loved it! I’ll definitely be making more of these in the future!
Currently keto dieting and this really makes a great breakfast. I added crumbled bacon and chopped avocado on top. Thanks for the recipe.