Roasted Broccoli Steaks
Our roasted broccoli steaks with garlic and parmesan is so delicious. Loaded with flavor, this baked broccoli recipe has the stems and florets intact. You can eat it like a “steak” for a satisfying bite and crunch.
Keto Roasted Broccoli Steaks
Sure, it’s not a steak but when it’s sliced thick, these broccoli steaks are so great to eat. Infused with garlic, olive oil and parmesan cheese it’s a perfect side dish to any keto friendly or low carb meal. Eating them this way is a great way to serve this popular vegetable and the parmesan cheese melts perfectly on top. It’s so satisfying to cut and bite into chunks of flavorful broccoli. It’s almost like a healthy main meal!
Video: Low Carb Roasted Broccoli Steaks
Tips on Roasting Broccoli Steaks
- “Steak” Slices for the broccoli: For each broccoli head, you might get about 2-3 “steak” slices. You’ll definitely be getting some loose florets but those will roast deliciously.
- Boiling the broccoli first: For a more “tender or soft” broccoli, you can par boil the broccoli steaks. Just boil them for about 1 minute. Then drain and remove all excess water. From there you can season them according to the recipe directions and roast.
- Using different cheeses will make this even more exceptional. We use parmesan cheese because we love the flavor. But other cheeses are fantastic too like grated sharp cheddar, asiago cheese, grated smoked gouda and even blue cheese. Yum!
- Customize spices: Add your favorite seasonings and spices. Steak seasonings are fantastic on the broccoli and if you like spicy foods, add some sriracha.
- You can do this with cauliflower too for a delicious cauliflower “steak” side dish. Here’s the recipe for our roasted cauliflower steaks.
- More recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Low Carb Broccoli Steaks
- 1 pound (454 g) broccoli , cut into thick slices
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) oil
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried herbs (thyme, basil, etc.)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) lemon pepper seasoning or seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sea salt , or to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup (50 g) grated parmesan cheese
- lemon wedges & chopped parsley , optional for serving
- Pre-heat oven at 400°F/205°C. Set the oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- Cut the broccoli into steaks, trying to keep the stem intact with the crown.
- *Optional – see head note: In large pot of boiling water, quickly blanch the cut broccoli for about 1 minute, depending on how soft you want it to be. Drain the broccoli and rinse with cold water to keep the broccoli from cooking further. Blot broccoli with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- In bowl, combine oil, Worcestershire sauce, dried herbs, lemon pepper/seasoning salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Whisk ingredients together.
- Gently place broccoli on a baking sheet pan. Brush the marinade on all sides of the broccoli. Sprinkle salt and pepper to top of broccoli to taste.
- Bake at 400°F/205°C for 15-20 minutes, or until the bottom of the broccoli is slightly crisped. Gently flip the broccoli over and continue baking for another 5-10 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
- Sprinkle with cheese while the broccoli is still hot so cheese can melt (or place back in the oven for a minute or two to melt the cheese). Place in a serving dish, sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges!
Nutrition Information per Serving
Other Vegetable “Steaks”
We talked about the cauliflower steaks recipe on our site but there’s other vegetables you can use this recipe for. Cabbage is fantastic because you can slice the cabbage into thick steaks too. Roast them the same way you would the broccoli and add your favorite cheese on top to melt. Thick slices of potato or sweet potato are great too. We love potato “steaks”! And if you’re still interested in broccoli, here’s a great article about the different broccoli varieties you can cook with!