Healthy Turkey Lettuce Cups Recipe
Healthy turkey lettuce cups are the perfect example of eating a salad in a different form that’s satisfying without all the calories. They’re low carb and perfect to enjoy a healthy Asian meal that’s loaded with fresh flavors and textures. The appeal is the low carb and low fat components to these turkey lettuce cups. Fresh lettuce is cool, crisp and crunchy. We love using bib lettuce (butter leaf) , ice berg lettuce, or any lettuce that allows you to wrap the delicious fillings in. Why this recipe is so healthy is because it uses ground turkey with is lean and low fat. We pile on extra flavor with all the fresh garlic and spices. There’s so many reasons why this is such a popular recipe for turkey lettuce wraps. One fresh bite and you’ll be hooked and seriously, you won’t miss all the carbs and fat!
Here’s a great Low Carb –> Sriracha Chicken Lettuce Cups Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced or crushed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder)
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame seed oil
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar or distilled white vinegar (for gluten free)
- 1 bell pepper , diced
- 2 green onions , sliced
- salt , to taste
- ground black pepper , to taste
- butter leaf lettuce leaves , or other similar cupped lettuce leaf
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat and then add oil. Stir in the onion, garlic and ginger, and cook until onions are softened, about 1 minute
Stir in the ground turkey, breaking it up with the spatula and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce, sesame seed oil, rice vinegar until the turkey is well combined with the sauce.
- Stir in the bell peppers and green onions and cook until the bell peppers are tender, about 5 minutes. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- You can serve the filling while it's warm, or allow it to cool. Serve with lettuce leaves.