Healthy Turkey Lettuce Cups
Healthy Turkey Lettuce Cups Recipe
Healthy turkey lettuce cups are the perfect example of eating a salad in a different form that’s satisfying without all the calories. They’re low carb and perfect to enjoy a healthy Asian meal that’s loaded with fresh flavors and textures. The appeal is the low carb and low fat components to these turkey lettuce cups. Fresh lettuce is cool, crisp and crunchy. We love using bib lettuce (butter leaf) , ice berg lettuce, or any lettuce that allows you to wrap the delicious fillings in. Why this recipe is so healthy is because it uses ground turkey with is lean and low fat. We pile on extra flavor with all the fresh garlic and spices. There’s so many reasons why this is such a popular recipe for turkey lettuce wraps. One fresh bite and you’ll be hooked and seriously, you won’t miss all the carbs and fat!
You can use ground chicken too, the flavor is almost exactly the same. Also, if you want a pescatarian lettuce wrap version you can cook shrimp or salmon. Seafood wraps are fantastic! Lastly, you can make this vegetarian. There’s so many vegetable options for the filling. Chopped zucchini, carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli and kale are just a few healthy options.
Here’s a great Low Carb –> Sriracha Chicken Lettuce Cups Recipe
Low Carb Turkey Lettuce Cups
- 1 pound (454 g) lean ground turkey
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced or crushed
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) freshly grated ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder)
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) sesame seed oil
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) rice vinegar or distilled white vinegar (for gluten free)
- 1 bell pepper , diced
- 2 green onions , sliced
- salt , to taste
- ground black pepper , to taste
- butter leaf lettuce leaves , or other similar cupped lettuce leaf
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat and then add oil. Stir in the onion, garlic and ginger, and cook until onions are softened, about 1 minute
- Stir in the ground turkey, breaking it up with the spatula and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce, sesame seed oil, rice vinegar until the turkey is well combined with the sauce.
- Stir in the bell peppers and green onions and cook until the bell peppers are tender, about 5 minutes. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- You can serve the filling while it's warm, or allow it to cool. Serve with lettuce leaves.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).