Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Salad Recipe
One of our favorite healthy and low carb lunches is making slow cooker chicken taco salad. It’s really easy to add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and return later to a fantastic meal. We love taking the chicken and making a low carb salad out of it. Our recipe for slow cooker chicken taco salad is a winner and fool proof. Once you make it, you’ll love making so many things with it. The flavors, textures and yummy taco toppings really take this over the top. Best of all, it’s low carb, healthy and loaded with flavor.
Video: Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Salad
Best Slow Cooker Chicken for Many Meals
We’re obsessed with this slow cooker taco chicken because it’s so versatile. This low carb salad version is definitely the healthiest. But if you’re craving a taco, this chicken is perfect for that. You can make chicken tacos, tostadas or quesadillas if you are craving a few more carbs. The possibilities are endless with all the meal variations. Best of all, you can freeze this chicken after it’s cooked and continue eating it later in the month. Another great idea is to add little broth and make this into a hearty soup! Add some corn, beans, veggies, hominy and strips of tortilla if you want. It quickly transforms into a mexican soup, tortilla soup or posole soup.
- 2 pounds chicken
- 1 cup tomato sauce or salsa
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire or soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , or more to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder (optional, for spicy flavor)
- 6 cups chopped lettuce
- sliced avocado
- lime wedges
- hot sauce
- sliced radishes
- diced red onion
- sour cream
Add all the chicken ingredients into the slow cooker (chicken, tomato sauce, Worcestershire, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper, and optional chipotle powder). Stir to combine all the spices into the sauce.
- Slow cook 6-8 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.
- Take the chicken pieces out of the slow cooker, cut into 1-2 inch pieces, then place back in the slow cooker. Shed with a couple forks to break up the chicken.
- Taste the chicken and add more salt if needed.
- When ready to serve, top the lettuce with the shredded chicken and top with your preferred toppings.