Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Salad
One of our favorite healthy and low carb lunches is making slow cooker chicken taco salad. It’s really easy to add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and return later to a fantastic meal.
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Salad Recipe
We love taking the chicken and making a low carb salad out of it. Our recipe for slow cooker chicken taco salad is a winner and fool proof. Once you make it, you’ll love making so many things with it. The flavors, textures and yummy taco toppings really take this over the top. Best of all, it’s low carb, healthy and loaded with flavor.
Video: Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Salad
Best Slow Cooker Chicken for Many Meals
We’re obsessed with this slow cooker taco chicken because it’s so versatile. This low carb salad version is definitely the healthiest. But if you’re craving a taco, this chicken is perfect for that. You can make chicken tacos, tostadas or quesadillas if you are craving a few more carbs. The possibilities are endless with all the meal variations. Best of all, you can freeze this chicken after it’s cooked and continue eating it later in the month. Another great idea is to add little broth and make this into a hearty soup! Add some corn, beans, veggies, hominy and strips of tortilla if you want. It quickly transforms into a mexican soup, tortilla soup or posole soup.
Can You Freeze The Chicken?
Yes you can! This is a great make-ahead recipe for meal planning. Just make sure the chicken is completely cool before you package it for the freezer. And don’t forget about scraping all the sauce too. Don’t let any of the delicious sauce and flavor go to waste!
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Salad
For the Chicken
- 2 pounds (907 g) chicken
- 1 cup (245 g) tomato sauce or salsa
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Worcestershire or soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) chili powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) onion powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt , or more to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) chipotle powder (optional, for spicy flavor)
For the Salad:
- 6 cups (1.5 l) chopped lettuce
- sliced avocado
- lime wedges
- hot sauce
- sliced radishes
- diced red onion
- sour cream
- Slow Cooker
- Add all the chicken ingredients into the slow cooker (chicken, tomato sauce, Worcestershire, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper, and optional chipotle powder). Stir to combine all the spices into the sauce.
- Slow cook 6-8 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.
- Take the chicken pieces out of the slow cooker, cut into 1-2 inch pieces, then place back in the slow cooker. Shed with a couple forks to break up the chicken.
- Taste the chicken and add more salt if needed.
- When ready to serve, top the lettuce with the shredded chicken and top with your preferred toppings.
Here’s more of our great low carb chicken recipes here and easy chicken recipes here.
2 Comments on “Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Salad”
This is my favorite taco salad! It’s also healthier than most other salads I’ve had.
I’m on keto right now. This recipe keeps me full and satisfied.