Spaghetti Squash with Sausage & Parmesan Cheese
Always low carb and delicious, spaghetti squash sausage is one of our favorite recipes that satisfies. If you’ve never had spaghetti squash before, you’ll be in for a real treat!
Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Recipe with Sausage
To start, read our how to cook spaghetti squash write up. There’s so much flavor from the sausage in the spaghetti squash, it’s hard to resist. The added parmesan is fantastic when it’s melted on the tender spaghetti squash strands and sausage. You won’t miss the heavy starchy pasta because the spaghetti squash is super satisfying without all the guilt of starch and calories. Enjoy this for a quick weeknight dinner by pre-cooking the spaghetti squash. That way when you come home from work, you just cook the sausage and add the spaghetti squash and other simple ingredients. It’s a fantastic way to enjoy a healthy dinner at home with your family!
Video: Recipe for Spaghetti Squash with Sausage
Spaghetti Squash w/ Sausage & Parmesan
- 1 (1) Spaghetti Squash (about 3 pounds-1.36kg)
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Olive Oil , divided
- 1/2 medium (1/2 medium) Onion , chopped
- 3 cloves (3 cloves) Garlic , minced or crushed
- 1 pound (454 g) un-cooked Italian Sausage
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) chopped fresh Basil (or 1 teaspoon dried basil) - or herb of choice- oregano, rosemary, etc.
- 1 cup (100 g) grated Parmesan cheese , preferably freshly grated *See Note 2 below recipe
- Kosher Salt , to taste
- fresh Cracked Black Pepper , to taste
- optional - chopped Italian Parsley , for garnish
- optional - red chili flakes
- Baking Sheet Pan or Large Baking Dish
- Preheat Oven to 375°F/190°C.
- Slice spaghetti squash in half. (You can cut lengthwise or crosswise. Both work well, crosswise will give you longer strands. Kitchen tip: Use the tip of the knife to first pierce the squash to get the cut started. Once started, you don’t have to slice everything in half, just cut through the rind working around the diameter.) Scoop out the seeds and loose tidbits.
- Lightly oil the cut edge of the spaghetti squash with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Place cut side down on a baking sheet pan or large baking dish.
- Bake for about 45-55 minutes, or until the squash flesh separates easily into strands with a fork. (You want the “spaghetti” strands to separate from each other without overcooking and getting mushy. After 45 mintes taste test one strand of the squash to see if it cooked to your preference. Bake it for another 5-15 minutes if needed depending on the size and tenderness of the squash).
- Using a towel to hold or wait until cool enough to handle, use a fork to finish gently loosening the “spaghetti" from the shells and set aside.
- Pinch and form the sausage into 1/2-inch sized balls. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Heat remaining 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in pan, then stir in the onion and garlic. Cook until soft, about 1 minute, then add sausage. Allow to cook untouched until bottom side of sausage starts to brown, then stir. Continue cooking and stirring occasionally until the sausage is cooked through (@ 2-3 minutes depending on heat and size of sausage).
- Stir in the the basil and then add spaghetti squash strands to the sausage. Continue cooking until spaghetti squash is heated through (usually less than a minute.)
- Remove from heat. Toss in parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with optional parsley and/or red chili flakes. Serve immediately.
Nothing beats tried and true kitchen tools and products, plus a little bonus of some of our favorites for entertaining. Here’s some of the favorites:
Mealthy 5-blade Spiralizer – Great design and super great price. Mealthy has been great about developing inexpensive yet great products for the kitchen.
- Here’s another great spaghetti squash recipe idea: try it with these thai curry chicken meatballs.
- low carb scotch eggs recipe
- easy roasted summer squash with herbs and cheese
4 Comments on “Spaghetti Squash with Sausage & Parmesan Cheese”
My kids love this recipe! It’s such a delicious dinner.
Made this for hubby and I since we started keto last week. AMAZING!! we added a handful of spinach for extra greens and it was perfect.
This was easy and delicious! I prepped everything at home and took the ingredients for a getaway weekend at an AirBNB. Everyone loved it—and my husband and (very picky) teenager returned for seconds!
Thanks Amanda! So glad that everyone enjoyed the recipe.