Healthy and Fresh Chicken Chili
The freshness of this healthy chicken chili recipe really comes through! This chili is loaded with vegetables and super clean tasting, without compromising on flavor.
Healthy Chicken Chili Recipe
Yes, chili can be healthier and leaner without all the calories! Chicken chili is always the cleaner option for protein when it comes to chili. Sometimes people think that chili should be made with beef or pork because the fat brings more flavor. But if you’re counting calories and don’t want all the fat, using chicken breast is much leaner. All the spices we add in our recipe along with all the fresh vegetables really brings outstanding flavor to the chicken and you never feel like you’re missing out when you’re eating healthy chili.
Video: for Low Carb Chicken Chili Recipe
Best Toppings for Chili?
It’s very possible to have a big bowl of fresh and healthy chili without feeling all the guilt! Or if you want to indulge a bit we have some ideas for you:
- Low fat sour cream: add a sensible dollop of low fat sour cream
- Non fat greek yogurt: you can still enjoy the creamy tang by using yogurt. And you get yoru probiotics too!
- Add a sprinkle of low fat cheese or you can use non-fat, or vegan cheese.
- Bed of fresh lettuce or greens. Serve this chili on a bed of fresh chopped greens or arugula.
- If you really want to make this super low carb, you can omit the beans. Add more vegetables to place the beans and it’s still a hearty vegetarian meal!
- Chicken chili salad is definitely one of our favorite healthy ways to enjoy this dish. Enjoy!
FRESH & HEALTHY CHICKEN CHILI
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 medium (1 medium) onion , minced
- 3 cloves (3 cloves) Garlic , minced
- 1 pound (340 g) chicken breast or cutlets , cut into small bite sized pieces.
- 2 large (454 g) fresh tomatoes , small dice
- 2 Tablespoons (85 g) tomato paste
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) chili powder
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt or sea salt, or more to taste
- 1 cup (425 g) canned black beans , drained
- 2 stalks (2 stalks) celery , small dice
- 1 large (1 large) bell pepper , small dice
- Heat a large pan, add oil, minced onions and garlic. Cook the onions and garlic until they are transluscent. Add chicken and cook it until it becomes white on the outside.
- Add the fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, water, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, and salt. Stir to combine well, then allow to come to simmer. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add black beans, celery, and bell pepper. Stir all the ingredients. If it's too thick, add a little more water. Bring to a boil, then immediately lower heat and bring to a low simmer.
- Continue simmering the chili for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, for the flavors to combine. Keep cooking the chili until it becomes your desired consistency.
- (optional) If you want to indulge, add a small dollop of low fat sour cream and sprinkle of low fat cheese!
Nutrition Information per Serving
- This recipe was originally published in 2018 and re-published in 2020 with updated video.
- Check out more healthy recipes here.
- Enjoy this healthy air fryer chicken and broccoli “stir fry”
- here’s our popular skillet lemon pepper chicken