Cauliflower Fried Rice
Healthy Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe
Ok, this isn’t really rice but it sure tastes like it! This is such hit if you’re looking for a healthy recipe when you’re craving fried rice. And so many of you asked for a chicken cauliflower fried rice version! You can certainly use chicken thigh meat for more flavor or even switch it out to shrimp or healthy tofu. What ever you do, you’ll be surprised and not miss the starchy rice at all.
Video: Recipe for Cauliflower Fried Rice
What is Cauliflower Fried Rice?
This fried rice recipe uses minced cauliflower and actually that there’s no rice at all! The “rice” part is 100% cauliflower and when chopped small, the tiny bits of cauliflower resembles the “rice”. After sautéing it up, you don’t miss the actual real rice at all because the texture is so much like rice! Replacing the rice for cauliflower makes this recipe super low-carb and healthier. The small cauliflower bits truly resembles the same bite and texture as rice. It’s a fantastic paleo recipe that’s low carb and still satisfies.
How to Make Cauliflower Fried Rice?
- The secret is to make sure to keep the cauliflower with a good bite and not cook it to be mushy.
- Another key factor is to hand-mince it to get the perfect texture.
- You can use a food processor too, but make sure to not overprocess the cauliflower or else it will be mushy.
- If you want to use frozen cauliflower rice in the freezer section, it should work great too. Stores sell “riced cauliflower” or “cauliflower rice” bags in the freezer section.
Favorite ways to make Cauliflower Fried Rice:
Good tools make time in the kitchen all the more enjoyable. Here’s some of the favorites:
Food Processor: This is our favorite food processor for home; linked here. It is a great balance between useable size for the average recipe and how much space is needed to store it.
Pre-cut & bagged: You can also buy pre-cut cauliflower in bags in your frozen food section.
Before and After! Here’s the link to the food processor.
Here’s More Great Quick & Easy Recipes
This recipe was originally published in 2019 and re-published in 2020 with updated photos.
Cauliflower "Fried Rice"
- 2 pounds cauliflower (910g)
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil (30ml) , divided
- 1/2 medium onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/4 cup diced frozen or fresh carrots (60ml) (optional)
- 1/4 cup frozen or fresh peas (60ml)
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce (30ml) *for gluten-free use tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 green onions , diced
- optional: kosher salt to taste
- more optional vegetables: kale , celery, broccoli, corn, spinach
- more options: shrimp, tofu, pork, and beef
- If using a head of cauliflower, removed the leaves & excess stem. Mince cauliflower into very small crumbled pieces, resembling the size of rice or larger because the cauliflower will shrink as it cooks. You can use a food processor to get this texture, but be careful to not process the cauliflower too much or it will become mushy. We prefer to hand mince everything to get the small texture, so it still remains firm when cooked.
- Heat large skillet on medium-high heat. Add oil, then add onion and garlic. Cook until soft and translucent, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and sauté until almost tender, making sure it is not mushy soft. Add the peas and carrots and stir until combined. If using fresh carrots, cook for about 2 minutes, otherwise proceed to the next step.
- Add the beaten egg, soy sauce, sesame oil and black pepper. Stir until the egg coats all of the cauliflower and becomes cooked.
- If needed, add additional kosher salt to taste. Add green onions and stir until everything is combined. Serve warm.