Healthy Baked Tuna Patties Recipe
Gosh, these are so good! We’ve been obsessed with tuna patties or tuna cakes. Call it what you want, they are delicious! Low carb and loaded with fantastic flavor, these tuna patties are perfect in so many ways. As a snack, in a sandwich or on a salad, our easy tuna patties recipe is a hit. You can serve them in so many different ways and in different times of the day.
Video: Easy Baked Low Carb Tuna Patties or Tuna Cakes Recipe
There’s different ways to make the best tuna patties. Traditional methods are to fry the tuna patties on a pan with oil. But our version is baked in the oven for less greasy texture. Baked tuna patties are still crispy on the outside, they cook perfectly and need very little oil. Within minutes, fresh, hot and crispy tuna patties are ready for dinner! Save the leftovers for lunch in a sandwich or on a bed of lettuce for a salad. They’re even better for a high protein snack throughout the day! What ever you decide to do, make sure to make a double batch because they are so good and easy to eat!
How to Make Tuna Patties or Tuna Cakes in the Oven
Use ice cream scoop to keep sizes consistent
Flatten out the tuna patties and keep their round shape. Brush with oil.
After the first bake, flip the tuna patties
(optional) brush the top side with oil before baking again. This will make the patties a little crisper, but will add more calories.
We texture of the canned albacore tuna the best for this recipe. Try to avoid the canned tunas which are just tiny tidbits and are mushy. The recipe comes out best with tuna which has solid flakes and chunks.
The amount of egg will vary depending on the dryness of your tuna and the absorption of the bread crumbs or panko. If you are unsure, start with 2 eggs, and if the mixture seems too dry to easily form into patties, add a 3rd egg.
Makes 10 Patties.
- 3 cans albacore tuna , (5 ounce-142g cans) drained
- 2-3 large eggs *see note above
- zest of 1 medium lemon
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup ground pork rinds or almond flour
- 3 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 stalk celery , finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried herbs (oregano, dill, basil, thyme or any combo)
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt , or to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil , for brushing (or more if needed)
- (optional for serving) tarter sauce, mayo, ranch, lemon slices
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, bread crumbs or panko, parmesan cheese, celery, onion, garlic powder, dried herbs, salt and pepper. Stir the mixture to make sure everything is combined. Gently fold in the tuna until just combined.
- Shape the tuna mixture into patties about 2-inches (5cm) wide x 1/2-inch thick (1.25cm) (a large cookie scoop makes this step quick & easy).
- Lightly brush both sides with olive oil (a nice cooking spray works well too). Place on the prepared baking sheet pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip the patties, and then bake for 10 minutes more or until the tuna patties are light golden and cooked through (but don’t over cook or else they will start to dry out).
Serve with sauces and/or lemon slices, as tuna sliders, on salads, etc...
Easy substitutions: Bread crumbs, crushed saltines or other savory cracker for the pork rinds or almond flour. Fresh herbs for the dried herbs. Shallots or green onions for the onions.
More–> Great Seafood Recipes Here
Healthy–> Air Fryer Recipes Here!
More Easy Healthy Recipes:
- Spaghetti Squash with Sausage and Parmesan
- Low Carb Pad Thai Zucchini Noodles
- Vietnamese Fresh Shrimp Spring Rolls (Summer rolls)
- Grilled Garlic Cauliflower Steaks
this recipe was originally published in 2019 and re-published in 2020 with updated video.