Grilled Romaine Salad
If you haven’t had grilled romaine salad before, you’re going to love this recipe! This Grilled Romaine salad recipe is the perfect salad for outdoor gatherings. When fresh romaine is grilled, a great smoky flavor comes out and gives a very unique flavor to this bbq romaine salad.
Easy Grilled Romaine Salad Recipe
The grilled romaine lettuce holds up better to grilling than most regular soft lettuce varieties. That’s why this grilled romaine salad recipe is so delicious and popular! Adding some grilled chicken is a fantastic addition to grilled romaine. If you have some Caesar dressing on hand, this beautiful romaine can easily become a grilled romaine chicken Caesar salad. Then everyone can serve themselves and then add the dressing on top. Or you can just chop the grilled romaine, toss it with cheese or what ever else you want to add and it’ll become a fabulous chopped grilled romaine salad.
Video: Recipe for Grilled Romaine Salad
Our test kitchen and taste testers were blown away at how delicious this salad is. They weren’t expecting to enjoy a “warm” lettuce salad. Instead, they goggled up their plate and were shocked at how delicious and flavorful this salad was. So add this grilled romaine salad recipe to your summer menu and everyone will be obsessed with how delicious this easy grilled romaine salad can be! Click here for more –> Healthy vegetable recipes.
Best BBQs & Tools:
Some tools, grills, and smokers make BBQ and grilling all the more enjoyable. Here’s some of the favorites:
Avoid BBQ Tool Sets. We’ve yet to find a set where we love everything in it. Either the spatula or the tongs or the brush is wonky. Or there is stuff in there I never need. Do yourself a favor and just buy what you need a la carte. For grilling tongs, these bad boys are awesome.
Have a grilling or BBQ question, you’ll most likely find an answer here. Explained in the classic straightforward, simple Mark Bittman style, this is a grilling keeper. From high-heat to low and slow recipes, veggies to seafood to the classic meats, there are recipes for every grilling occasion.
Grilling should never be confined to the daylight. Love this BBQ light. Good brightness, solid magnets plus clamp option. We’ve gone through 1/2 dozen different grilling lights before falling in love with this one. Be ready to grill all night long.
Love this offset smoker. Solid construction. Isn’t perfect, but with a couple easy modifications it will smoke as well as the $1k + smokers. Can use the main chamber also as a regular charcoal grill. Love using it as a regular grill using lump charcoal or briquettes. Huge cooking surface.
One of the best for the money. Solid gas grill! Nothing like the quick convenience of a good gas grill.
Some days we just need to keep the little things contained on the grill. Throw them all into a basket and grill from there. Easy-peasy.
Grilled Romaine Salad
- 2 medium heads romaine lettuce , cut lengthwise into wedges
- olive oil for brushing the romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup crumbled or grated cheese (choose your favorite!)
- lemon wedges for serving and squeezing over salad
For The Dressing
- 2 cloves garlic , crushed or fine mince
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil for the dressing
- Zest of 1 fresh lemon
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (use Tamari for Gluten Free)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt , or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Make the Dressing: Whisk together the dressing ingredients (garlic, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, balsamic, mustard, soy sauce, brown sugar, paprika, salt and black pepper). Set aside.
- Heat the grill to medium-high to high heat (depending on grill’s heat intensity). Make sure to scrape the grill grates so they are clean & food won't stick as easily.
- Lightly coat the romaine lettuce heads with oil. Grill the romaine until they’re gently cooked and slightly charred.
- Allow grilled romaine to cool. Lay on a serving tray, drizzle dressing on top and sprinkle with cheese. Serve with lemon wedges and enjoy!
Nutrition Information per Serving
This bbq romaine salad recipe was originally published in 2019 and was updated in 2020.