Chicken Fajita Salad with Cumin Lime Dressing
We never get tired of chicken fajita salad because it’s an easy meal that’s healthy and low carb. If you’re craving a healthy meal, then you can opt out of the tortillas and serve the chicken fajitas on a bed of lettuce.
Low Carb Chicken Fajita Salad Recipe
A fresh, green and crisp bed of lettuce, fajitas with chicken and fresh tomato salsa makes a wonderful low carb meal. Our simple recipe is so flavorful already that you might not even need a salad vinaigrette. Although if you still want more layers of flavor, just drizzle as much of this cumin lime dressing as you want!
Video: Healthy Chicken Fajita Salad Recipe:
How to Make Chicken Fajita Salad Recipe
The chicken fajitas are the perfect skillet meal and finished in less than 30 minutes. The cumin lime dressing is wonderfully refreshing and compliments the fajita salad perfectly. Our homemade cumin lime salad dressing is made with a combination of spices and will keep in fridge for up to 1 week. But the recipe for the salad dressing is rather just enough for a batch of the chicken fajitas, so you might not have any left over.
Can you Freeze this recipe?
Yes you can! This is a great meal-prep or make ahead recipe. Once thawed again, you can cook it on the stove top until warmed through. Or you can heat it in the microwave too. Serve it in any way that you like and it’s a great easy dish. During busy weeknights, this meal prep chicken fajita is fantastic.
Favorite Toppings for this Salad:
- Mexican cotija or queso fresco cheese
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- low carb toasted pumpkin seeds
- Nuts of your choice like walnuts or almonds
- a handful of fresh chopped cilantro
- minced fresh jalapeños or other chili peppers
Chicken Fajita Salad With Cumin-Lime Dressing
Cumin-Lime Dressing Ingredients
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) grape seed oil or canola oil
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves (2 cloves) garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground ginger - optional
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Kosher salt , or to taste
Chicken Fajita Ingredients
- 1 pound (4.59 g) boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs, sliced into thin strips
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) grape seed oil or canola oil (for marinade, plus more for cooking)
- 3 cloves (3 cloves) garlic , minced
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) lime juice or lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) Kosher salt , or to taste
- 1 (1 ) onion , sliced
- 1 large (1 large) bell pepper , seeded & sliced thin
- 1 (1 ) jalapeño pepper , seeded & minced (optional)
- 1-2 (1-2 ) heads lettuce , washed and torn or cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup (240 ml) salsa - optional
Make the Dressing: (This can be done well in advance)
- In bowl, combine all dressing ingredients (oil, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, oregano, cumin, optional ginger, salt, and pepper). Whisk together well, then set aside.
Make the Chicken Fajitas
- Make marinade for chicken: In large bowl, combine 1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable oil, garlic, lime or lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, paprika, sugar and salt.
- Add chicken to the marinade, stirring the chicken to complete coat with the marinade, then cover and chill for about 20 minutes.
- Cook the chicken: Heat a large skillet on high heat and coat the pan with about 1 Tablespoon of oil. Add the onions and cook until lightly golden and almost soft (about 1 minute). Stir in the bell peppers and sear the peppers and onion until slightly charred. Add the minced jalapeños (optional) and cook for about 1 minute to slightly soften and then remove peppers/onion mixture from the skillet and set aside.
- In same pan over high heat, add the marinated chicken. DO NOT add the excess marinade juices because it will make the chicken less charred and crispy. But if you want a more wet fajita mixture, you can add the excess marinade.
- Cook chicken until cooked through, stirring occasionally, then add pepper/onion mixture back into the skillet with the chicken. Cook for 1 more minute or until onions are hot and the mixture is combined well.
- Allow the chicken fajitas to cool slightly before adding to the salad.
Finish the Salad
- When ready to serve, toss fresh lettuce with cumin lime dressing. Plate the salad and top off with chicken fajitas and optional fresh tomato salsa.
Taste more of our –> Low Carb Salad Recipes here
Click Here for our other website —> Amazing Mexican Recipes